It is easy to get scammed when buying a new mattress. Many consumers have complained about bad service, inappropriate warranty and poor mattress construction. There were also reports about dirty mattresses.
When you are buying a new mattress, you would want to be one step ahead of the sellers. Know what you are buying and make sure that you know all your choices. Here are some tips on how not to be scammed when buying:
- Get to know the common concerns of consumers with their mattresses and make sure you do everything to avoid those problems. For example, if the company has bad reputation when it comes to their services, you have to make sure that you choose a company that has good reports and ratings with their services.
You should call their customer service number if it really exists. Appallingly, there are dishonest companies that give false numbers to mislead people.
- Buy from a reputable mattress store, preferably one that has been in the industry for more than a decade already. A mattress with a good reputation has more reliable selling system. They also have a reliable customer service department that can help solve your common mattress concerns.
- Learn more about the warranty. There is such a thing called pro-rated warranty. This type of warranty deducts years to the original number of years because of a few reasons. More often than not, companies do not inform their consumers that the warranty they are giving is pro-rated. Your 10 years of warranty might be cut short because of a number of reasons. So ask first if the warranty they are giving is non-pro-rated.
- Get to know more about the return and exchange policy. Most stores offer comfort trial. You get to test the mattress for at least a month. If you don’t like the over-all comfort, you can have the mattress exchanged before the comfort trial period ends.
Find out who will shoulder the shipping expenses. There are also mattress companies that create beds with zip covers. If you don’t like the comfort, you can unzip the mattress and remove the top layer and have it exchanged for something else.
- Buy from a nearby store. It is much easier to deal with problems if you wouldn’t have to travel to another place or you wouldn’t have to spend a lot of money on collect calls. Moreover, delivery is easier and faster. It reduces the likelihood of the mattress being delivered in bad condition.
You have to protect your rights as a consumer. Make sure you get the best deals when buying mattresses.